Window Film Installation & Tips
Posted in Blog, on July 20, 2018
With property crimes heading towards an unsettling trend, now is as good a time as any to review your home security plan. Bay windows, doors with pane glass panels, sliding glass doors, all present viable points of entry for would-be thieves willing to smash a few panes of glass in order to get what they want. Our installation professionals are trained and have years of experience with window film installation. Here are a few tips we’ve picked up along the way.
Materials you’ll need:
- Security Window Film
- Spray bottle with water and a few drops of dish soap (or baby shampoo)
- Squeegee and/or a roll of paper towels
- Razor blade (or scissors)
- Metal Ruler
- Ballpoint pen or fine-tipped sharpie
- Begin by removing the grill if you have one solid piece of glass with faux dividers. If you have true divided light, move on to the next step.
- Measure your windows and subtract 1/8″ from all measurements to leave space at the edges for the water to escape. Film and windows also expand and contract with the seasons so this space will be essential to making sure the film stays put throughout the season. Transfer the measurements onto the film with a pen. Cut the window film with the razor blade and a ruler. The careful hand could use scissors here but only in a pinch.
- Clean the window with the water and soap mixture. Use the razor blade to scrape the window to remove any shmutz from the pane. It is very important to get the windows as clean as possible and remember, just because you can't see it doesn’t mean it’s not there. The window must be 100% clean.
- Spray with soapy water and peel off the top edge of the backing. Carefully line up the and reach under the film to peel off the backing
Lifting the film risks getting dust or folds in the film. Use a squeegee or a credit card to push any air bubbles out from under the film and across the side, radiate out from the center. You’ll want to repeat this process till the window looks complete and make sure to wipe the liquid that has been squeezed out with a paper towel.
Sounds easy right? It might fool you. Window film installation for security film is particularly tricky because if any mistakes are made whatsoever the result is strange looking and off-putting. Removing window film is a pain if not nearly impossible, some people might rather just remove the window and start with a fresh pane. For security film installations and all other window installations, our professionals have the process down and will make sure the installation goes smoothly the first time. For more information on what our installation covers to check out the post-installation process.